This is a two-year fixed term position starting at the earliest possible date on or after October 15, 2016. An extension of the contract beyond the initial two-year term may be available. The project (planned completion date: December 31, 2022) is based in Berlin. The position is part-time (50%) on the public service scale TV-L E 13. There is the possibility (not yet finalised) for a full-time appointment from July 1, 2017, depending on funding being made available.
The appointee will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Catalogisation of Coptic manuscripts, ostraca and papyri from German collections, chiefly from the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection Berlin, in an online database
Requirements are specifically:
· Ph.D. or M.A. (or equivalent) in the areas of Coptic Studies, Theology/Religious Studies, Egyptology, Christian Oriental Studies, Byzantine Studies or related fields. Opportunities for further training are available.
· A solid knowledge of Coptic language and the textual tradition of Christian Egypt. Some expertise and experience in the area of Philology/Editions and Manuscript Studies/Codicology is welcome.
Candidates are expected to have:
· Willingness and ability to quickly familiarise themselves with the tasks at hand
· Familiarity with modern databases and online research
· Language skills in Ancient Greek and German. Other language skills, in particular in French or ancient languages other than Coptic are helpful.
· Excellent time management and good teamwork skills.
The Göttingen Academy of Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. In case of identical qualifications applicants with disabilities will be considered on a preferential basis.
Closing date: September 30, 2016
Please send your application (cover letter, CV, copies of relevant diplomas, publication list, if applicable) – in electronic form – to:
Professor Heike Behlmer (hbehlme at uni-goettingen dot de)
Please direct any enquiries about the project to the same address. General project information can also be found here.